Rick Worden has promoting rabbits for homestead use and personally raising rabbits for 30 + years and feels every homestead should be raising rabbits due to their tremendous impact toward greater self sufficiency. Rick’s company is Rise and Shine Rabbitry a small rabbitry in Mechanic Falls, Maine.
Their rabbits get premium care since they only raise a small number. All rabbits are kept in individual raised cages inside a hoop-house, in the barn and some hutches outside. Rabbits are shaded through the summer heat with shade cloth and kept warm and dry all winter while enjoying the company of a flock of silkies for bug control.
Twice a day the rabbits have pasture plants and grasses and other homegrown produce scythed for them and served up fresh (in season), so even though the rabbits are not “pastured” they are still reaping the benefits of a nutritious and natural diet.
Through the winter months the rabbits are fed hay and their diet is also supplemented year-round with a pelleted feed and root crops also an herbal hay mix the Wordens dry that and store for the winter rabbit “blahs”. Rick is also growing sprouts and experimenting with other homegrown foods to grow in their short season.
Join Us Today As We Discuss…
- Setting up rabbit housing
- Choosing a breed to work with
- Understanding the reality of eventual slaughter
- The value of rabbit “waste” products – not just manure
- Colony raising for those who travel at times
- Selling rabbits why live sales are easier to deal with legally
- Feeding rabbits off the land, you can do more than you think you can
- Awesome ways to cook rabbits
- Rules for safe and effective breeding
- The right age to start breeding at
- Reducing infant mortality
- Using chickens and ducks for pest control
- Other small livestock for the homestead
- Multiple method of tanning hides
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- The Free State Project – (sponsor of the day)
- Shelf Reliance – (sponsor of the day)
- The Rise and Shine Rabbitry Blog
- Rise and Shine Rabbitry on Facebook
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.