When I stated I wanted to do some more shows on firearms topics I was flooded with emails by new shooters that all basically said some version of this…
“Jack can you do a very basics style show that explains what all these calibers and rounds mean. Sometimes when you are talking about a firearms subject I am fine then you start saying something like the 38 special is 35 caliber and I just don’t get it. Or that a 40 S&W is equivalent to a 10mm in a carbine. None of this makes sense, please help.”
Often I feel that those of us who grew up reading gun magazines and shooting our entire lives forget how long it took for us to actually “know what we know”. My hope today is to condense this stuff into an hour long show in a way that will make sense to newbie.
I also hope that those of you who know this stuff will gain a better understanding of how to explain it to others. Just because you know something doesn’t mean you know how to teach it.
One thing I can promise you is that even if you are brand new to shooting and ballistics after today you will likely want to pull your hair out the next time you hear some idiot behind the counter at a sporting goods store giving out advice.
Join me today as we discuss…
- Cartridge vs. case vs. bullets
- What happens when you pull the trigger
- Rim fire vs. center fire
- What is a caliber
- What is the difference between millimeters and calibers
- What is a gauge
- What are some common caliber to millimeter equivalencies
- What actually does the killing when it comes to a gun shot wound
- Power mythology – real numbers from real shootings
- What is “sectional density”
- What is “ballistic coefficient”
- How “new” rounds usually come into existent
- The effects of longer barrels on handgun rounds
- Choosing a round is not as hard as people try to make it
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Back Yard Food Production – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Self Defense Consultants – (sponsor of the day)
- Wiki Article with good caliber to millimeter conversions
- Wiki Article on Heeled Bullets – (the diagram will make every thing I said make sense)
- An alternate look at handgun stopping power
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.