One of the many suggestions made for “suggest a show day” was one on take down guns. A take down gun is exactly what it sounds like, a gun made to be “taken down” so that it becomes smaller, takes up less space and packs easier. Another advantage is that when it “taken down” form it will be less likely to set off, “hey that bag looks like the guy might have a gun in it alarms”.
The take down gun is often seen in spy or assassin type movies. Yet it has many other practical applications. For some people carrying a handgun is out of the question due to laws and regulations. However in some states you can always carry a rifle if not loaded. PLEASE CHECK your local regs as in some states an unloaded gun, locked in a trunk can even get you in trouble.
When back packing a small take down rifle or shot gun packs easily and is a better game getter then any handgun. If you ever were to end up in crisis situation during some sort of mass shooting a rifle is a better tool for the job. Remember that in the Bell Tower shootings in Austin a private citizen with a rifle assisted the officer who stopped the shooter. Not to mention other armed citizens returned fire and pinned him down.
So the take down gun indeed has many advantages. As I own a few and have shot a few others I though this would be a great topic to cover.
Join me today as we discuss…
- Take down styles
- Single shots
- Double and combo guns
- Semi auto barrel removal
- Bolt action barrel removal
- The AR is a “take down” platform
- The lever action take down
- The foldable platforms
- Pump and semi auto shot guns
- Thoughts on various models
- The AR7 (22 LR)
- Springfield M6 (22LR and 410)
- The Marlin Papoose (22 LR)
- The NEF/H&R/Rossi Style Single Shots (mufti caliber and gauge)
- The KelTec SUB-2000
- The KelTec SU 16 and 22 Series
- Browning, Winchester, Savage and Marlin Lever Action Take Downs (various calibers)
- Pumps like the Remington 870, Mossberg 500 etc.
- Semi Autos like the Remington 1100
- All double shot guns and break action combo guns
- The 22 is only good for small game
- Take down guns are only for people that want to “hide a gun”
- Take down guns are not good for SHTF scenarios
- Take down guns are more prone to failure
- Take down guns are not accurate
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.