Trevor Van Hemert runs Pedal to Petal a company that picks up food scraps from all over the city of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. Pedal To Petal is a permaculture-based collective of bicycle loving food security activists who are taking direct action to reduce carbon emissions and landfill waste and to feed the soil and the city’s hungry.
They do all their pick up and transport via the use of bicycles with zero use of any fossil fuels. The finished compost is used to grow food in the same city where the components are collected and the compost is produced making Pedal to Petal a truly local business.
While most people would tend to expect Pedal to Petal to be a non profit business it is actually a very successful for profit enterprise proving that a business can be successful, profitable and still have a soul and a noble purpose.
Join Us Today as we Discuss…
- What exactly is compost
- What is compost useful for
- How does nature make its own compost
- What can and can not be composted
- The science of composting
- How long does composting take
- Stages of the compost cycle
- Carbon and nitrogen sources and ratios
- Rat proofing compost bins
- Composting with worms
- Multi bin systems
- Heating with compost
- Aerobic vs anaerobic composting
- Making bio gas
- Composting humanure
- Compost pit for water storage
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Silver and Gold Shop – (sponsor of the day)
- HarvestEating.com – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.