Gardening and permaculture are key topics with me when it comes to modern survival living. Some question this concept and feel survivalism is far more about beans, bullets and bandaids than compost, a shovel and turning soil.
To such types I have one question, where do you think the beans come from?
I have said a few things before that I feel need to be reinforced today.
- You can only store so much food
- You may fight a real battle a handful of times in your life or never but you must eat daily
- Our current food supply is threatened
- Our food supply is now heavily effected by inflation
- Being self sufficient means you must feed yourself
This is all well and good but at times we find ourselves in transitional periods or dealing with harsh environments. While I believe that permaculture can in fact terraform the desert (because it has, see Greening the Desert for an example) such terraforming takes time and resources. Something you may not have or have in sufficient amounts to feed yourself this season. Today I present to you some options that can get you up and producing quickly during just about any season of the year.
The purpose of today’s show is to help you get production will making major improvements to the land itself or even use the transitional method to improve the land long term.
Join me today as we discuss…
- The bag garden
- For quick production
- For creating a permanent “fence garden”
- Fore creation of conventional raised beds
- The self watering bucket and rain gutter garden
- Self maintaining
- Used easy to find materials
- Presents unlimited configurations
- Can be permanent
- Takes care of itself while you improve your land
- The Straw Bale Garden
- Can be up and running in a few weeks with no digging
- Can be a permanent or transitional
- Is very water efficient
- Rock Garden Hugelkultur
- Fast permanent structure
- Requires no digging
- Looks great
- Perfect for herbs
- Uses abundant/cheap/free materials
Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Members Support Brigade
- Enter to Win a Shelf Reliance Harvest 72 Food Rotation System
- Larry Hall’s YouTube Channel
- Paul Wheaton Article on Hulgelkultur
- Ron Hood’s Survival.com Magazine
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.