Today we wrap up the four part series on Herbal Actions. An herbal action is the specific effects any herb has on a body. Most herbal guides list these actions and understanding them will improve your effectiveness with herbs.
On this episode of The Survival Podcast we will review 10 more of 40 primary herbal actions which will wrap up our 4-part series.
Today we cover the following ten herbal actions alterative, anticatarrhal, anti-oxidant, astringent, demulcent, emollient, febrifuge, glactagogue, hypnotic and stomachic.
Join Me As We Discuss the Follow Actions and Corresponding Herbs
- Alterative – Gradually restores health and vitality to the body by helping the body assimilate nutrients, eliminate waste and restore proper function.
- Some alterative herbs – Nettle, Garlic and Chickweed
- Anticatarrhal – Counteracts the build-up of excess mucus and inflammation in the sinus and other upper respiratory parts.
- Red Clover, Elderberry, Wild Cherry, Ginger, Garlic
- Anti-oxidant – Protects the body against free radical damage. Free radicals are highly reactive compounds that bind to and destroy other molecules.
- Goji (Wolf) Berry, Sage, Black Pepper, Oregano and many more
- Astringent – Contracts, firms and strengthens body tissues by precipitating proteins and an reduce excess secretions and discharge.
- Calendula, Plantain, Sea Buckthorn
- Demulcent – Mucilaginous herbs which relax, soothe and protect tissue.
- Comfrey, Marshmallow, Slippery Elm, Sea Buckthorn
- Emollient – Applied to the skin to soften, soothe and protect
- Almond, Violet, Sea Buckthorn, Chamomile
- Febrifuge – Assists the body to reduce fever
- White Willow, Peppermint, Dandelion
- Galactagogue – Increases the flow of mothers milk
- Basil, Dill and Garlic
- Hypnotic – Has a powerful relaxant and sedative action and helps to to induce sleep.
- California Poppy, Chamomile, Passion Flower
- Stomachic – Stimulative tonic to the stomach
- Basil, Lemon Balm and Rose
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
- The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual
- Herbal First Aid and Health Care
- The Essential Herb-Drug-Vitamin Interaction Guide (The book I mentioned today)
- Members Support Brigade
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air