Yesterdays final question about choosing a good dog for a suburban homestead inspired me to dedicate a full show to choosing a great family dog and providing a good environment and training for your furry friend along with some basics on prepping to be sure you can care for your animals if the shit hits the fan.
Tune in today as I discuss…
- A dog is first and foremost a companion – the “working dog” BS doesn’t mean a dog is not part of the family
- Thoughts on some hunting breeds such as the Brittany, the Springer, the German Short Hair, the Lab, the Golden, the Beagle, Coon Hounds, the Feist and the Cur
- Some of the “protective breeds” who are still gentle such as the Cur, Labs, Goldens, Sheppard, Sheppard mixes and Rottweilers
- What do you want in a dog and a cool online dog picking quiz
- The ins and outs of crate training and how to do it properly and why it is so effective
- The basic commands, sit, stay, heel, lay, leave it, take it
- Advanced training, dead, shake, fetch (wait) and walking leash free
- Why walking is so important and how it will solve many problems before they occur
- The “touch” and the “bite” as corrections
- The psychology of a dog’s world
- Being prepared to take care of your buddy if the shit hits the fan
Resources for today’s show…
- Members Support Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Tea Party Silver- (sponsor of the day)
- Tactical Response Gear – (sponsor of the day)
- Online Quiz to Help Pick a Dog
- The British Government is Assclown of the Day
- Region 8’s Meet and Greet
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show.
You also now can call in questions or comments for the host at 866-65-THINK, (866-658-4465) please read the suggestions for calling in before you do for the best chance of getting your comments on the air.