The reason I have hesitated isn’t because we can’t learn from this situation. It also isn’t because it poses no threat to the US at all. Nor is it because Ebola isn’t a terrible disease. No it is simply that there is so much hype, fear and bullshit going on about Ebola that I don’t want to add to it in anyway! So perhaps I can mitigate it today.
Ebola is a serious life threatening illness. It has the potential to do a lot of long term harm, even in the US but not by infecting millions as the hype would lead one to believe. The reality is the biggest threat Ebola represents to developed nations is economic.
Join Me Today To Discuss
- How long have we known about the virus called Ebola
- How is Ebola spread
- Are we “sending troops to fight Ebola”, yes but this phrase is misleading
- Some statistics as of 10-3-14
- Guinea, Liberia & Sierra Leone – 7470 cases
- Guinea, Liberia & Sierra Leone – 3431 deaths
- Guinea, Liberia & Sierra Leone – Combined population 22 million
- Current percent of infection in these three nations .03%
- Current percent of death in these three nations .0156%
- Motor vehicle fatalities in the US in 2012 33,000 were .01% of the total population
- Total deaths from all accidents in the US in 2009 was .04%
- Malignant Tumors killed .18% of the total population in 2009
- Why the greatest threat to the US is economic
- Media hype
- Over reaction
- Legitimate concerns
- Why the threat is minimal
- Quarantine is very effective for Ebola
- It must be spread by bodily fluids
- The disease is not contagious until symptomatic
- Ebola patients go from well to a little sick to extremely sick, very fast
- If you have been exposed it is likely that you will know it
- What to do about this threat
- The same common sense preps as always
- Minimum 30 days of food and essentials, 60 days is better
- Be prepared to work remotely if possible
- Good storage of essentials for animals as well
- Be medically prepped, not so much for the disease as for any illness/injury
- Relax, don’t worry, have a homebrew, seriously.
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1442
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Great Big AgriTrue Contest
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Masanobu Fukuoka Quote
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.