Today we have the great pleasure of having Geoff Lawton on to discuss many of his new upcoming free videos, his recent online PDC and how he feels Permaculture is changing the world. The interview segment was pretty short because we had many and I mean MANY technical issues with lag across skype.
We always have a bit due to distance to Australia alone but this time was something we could barely work though. Geoff was a champ though and worked though it. I then went and spent over an hour editing things out and cleaning them up. Tune in today and you will hear more on what I had to do to get the recording to the quality it is now, and it is pretty damn good. Suffice to say we had about 37 minutes of audio an after I removed echos, lags, dead spaces, etc we ended up with a segment of about 24 minutes!
Funny enough the recording works great, it was often the case that we had 10 seconds of silence but all the words actually came though on the other side. Anyway just know a LOT of effort went into making this interview work on both ends.
The great part though is I was able to include more content on my own for you guys today in reference to two of Geoff’s coming videos. One which came out today and one that will be coming soon. Reason being is I have quite a bit of knowledge about both sites.
One is Eric Toensmeier’s home in Massachusetts. I will fill you guys in a bit about what you might be seeing from one of Geoff’s videos on this property because it is featured in Eric’s book that he co-authored with Jonathan Bates called Paradise Lot. I heard about that book from Dave Jacke and found it to be a great read.
Secondly, when Geoff mentioned the video being released today he discussed that is was about suburbs and flat lands. What he didn’t say was that it was based on Village Homes in California. What is great about this is Bill Mollison visited this location in 1983 and you can see it at that time in Bill’s video from the Global Gardener Series. What I did was watch the segment from Bill’s trip in 83 and then watched Geoff’s new video twice so I can discuss the impact of this showcase of permaculture for you.
Lastly I just read an incredible article by Geoff about what they did to establish a farm in Jordan. The results are pretty amazing but the one big takeaway for me was the structures that span swales in it. These are basically arches that shade the swales to reduce evaporation and almost make a swale into a low tech chinampa system. I am now considering how to implement this system on my property.
Resources for today’s show…
- MSB 2013 Christmas Sale
- The Year 1266
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
- GeoffLawton.com – Get Geoff’s Free Videos as They Come Out
- A Teaser of All of the New Geoff Lawton Videos to Come Out Soon
- Geoff’s Trip to a Jordan Farm he Helped Establish, NOTE the swale arches, very cool.
- Eric Toensmeier’s Website
- Eric Toensmeier’s Books
- Bill Mollison’s Segment from Global Gardener about Village Homes (circa 1983)
- Geoff Lawton’s Video on Village Homes (circa 2013)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.