Brandon Sheard came into traditional slaughter, butchery and curing right after finishing his graduate work in Renaissance English Literature. After marrying Lauren, he quit his job at Whole Foods in the supplement department and started work on a small, multi-species and pasture-based farm on Vashon Island.
After two years of working on the farm and managing the butcher shop, Brandon left and started Farmstead Meatsmith with Lauren. Largely self-taught in the art of traditional animal harvesting, Brandon and Lauren continue to provide the services of livestock processing and classes through Farmstead Meatsmith with a little help from 4 year-old Wallace, 2 year-old John Luke and 6 month-old Simon.
Their home and business is on Vashon Island, Washington and they join us today to discuss Fermented/Cured Meats. I first heard of Brandon from our good friend and expert council member Paul Wheaton of Permies.com. Brandon comes with Paul’s highest recommendation.
Join Us Today As We Discuss…
- What is curing? How does the traditional approach differ from the conventional approach?
- How has Bacon been commodified
- How does what you do on slaughter-day affect what you can do with meat when you cure it
- How will cured meats influence your kitchen
- How has modern practices of butchery influenced grass-fed beef in our country
- Why is most grass-fed beef trimmed of its fat
- What are some resources to help people regain a traditional approach?
- What is charcuterie
- How do you make a ham
- What should you do with venison
Resources for today’s show…
- MSB Lifetime Membership Open
- The Year 1253
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Get TSP Copper Sentinels
- TSP Gear
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Anatomy of Thrift – Brandon’s Videos
- The Farmstead Meatsmith – Brandon’s Website
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.