Today I want to discuss curing meats. To do that we are joined by Ken Strayer a member of the TSP audience. Ken has been curing meats for a few years and did a great job of answering my questions on the basics of curing meats.
He was however, extremely efficient and his knowledge is limited to a few types of cured meats so the interview as only about 28 minutes long. It was 28 extremely informative minutes but my shows are generally at least 50 minutes to an hour in length.
So I am adding a bonus segment on the curing of meat via biltong method to the beginning of today’s show along with some stuff I picked up on simple quick “sausage style” cures. Those might be some cool things you can do for the coming holidays.
Also next week we will have The Farmstead Meatsmith on next week. That will be a somewhat more advanced show. So think of this show as part one of a two part series. This will form the basis of your understanding of making cured meats, the basic process, etc.
Ken is an awesome guy, he is a medically retired US veteran who served for 10 years in the United States Navy. He is an avid outdoorsman who spend most of his free time backpacking and fly fishing throughout the North East. He spends the rest of his time tending to his garden and small homestead, and cooking-and a hobbyist at smoking and curing meats of all types. A listener of the show for about three years now, a supporter of liberty, and an Oathkeeper.
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1248
- Members Support Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Shop for TSP Silver
- TSP Gear
- Back Yard Food Production – (sponsor of the day)
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
- Document Provided By Ken with Info on Cures and the Curing Process
- Herbed Sausage Recipe by Morton
- Beef Salami Recipe by Morton
- Peperoni Recipe by Morton
- More Morton Recipies
- Making Biltong with Jack Part One
- Making Biltong with Jack Part Two
- Smoking Meat Forums
- Best Book on Curing Meats I Have Found
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.