I think it is a good time to look at some common hand tools and homestead gear specifically with winter approaching. Winter presents quite a few opportunities for repair and maintenance.
First, I am not sure why but winter is when many things that have always worked decide it is time to break down. It is like they want a rest from the action just like everyone else or something.
Second, many of the tasks we have to do frequently in the Spring, Summer or Fall are not necessary in winter. Even for those of us that garden, you very seldom need to water an weed. So many of the things that get put off during the busy season are prime for getting done in the slower months.
Third, a lot of maintenance work just sucks to do when it is 100 plus degrees outside. Doing them in a warm garage or shop or doing them on a sunny winter day is just a lot more fun then sweating your brains out.
Fourth, winter can get boring and wear you down. Days are short, nights are long and once hunting season is over cabin fever can set in hard and fast. Doing maintenance, repairs, upkeep and projects in this time helps us stay positive and be up and running full out when spring arrives.
Join Me Today as We Discuss…
- Tools I think should be on every homestead
- The Chainsaw (gas is primary but electrics have a place)
- Rechargeable/Power Tools
- Drill (make sure to have plenty of bits)
- Reciprocating Saw
- Circular Saw
- Cut Off Tool
- Impact Driver
- Jig Saw
- A good axe and a good hatchet
- A good sickle or corn knife
- Shovels, Hoes, etc.
- Hand Tools that Everyone Should Have
- Hammer (at minimum sledge, mini sledge and claw)
- Socket Set
- Screw Driver Set
- A set of driver tips and hex keys
- Wrench Set
- Adjustable Wrench
- Channel Locks
- Vice Grips
- Wire Brushes
- Planing tools
- Tape Measures, rulers, yardsticks, etc
- Cross and Rip Saws
- Hack Saw
- Pipe Wrench
- Pliers of All Common Form
- Sharpening stones
- Lots of nails, screws, bolts, washers, etc.
- Some Real Nice to Have Stuff
- Log splitter
- A press
- A scythe
- A shop vac
Resources for today’s show…
- Members Support Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.