After covering deeply the suicide texting case yesterday I have realized something I never said that I should have. That being that suicide is a horrible thing no matter how it happens and it always stems from a darkness that one believes will never end.
I think something that should drive this home is that suicide is the 10 leading cause of death in the United States, averaging over 45,000 people a year. Conversely about 15,0000 murders occur in our nation every year. Translation is an average person is 3 times more likely to end their own life, than to be killed by another person. Given this is The Survival Podcast, I think after over 9 years it is about time we discussed in depth the 10th leading cause of death in our nation.
However, today’s show isn’t only about suicide, it is about depression and darkness both of which often lead to suicide. Though they quite often lead simply to unfulfilling lives or even shattered lives. While I am not a professional counselor and nothing I say today should be taken as such, I am going to do my best to discuss dealing with darkness based on my own life experiences.
Join Me Today To Discuss…
- Why we need to delve into this topic
- The truth is most people would consider suicide in some circumstance
- Some of my past I have alluded to but not fully shared on air
- A friend of mine who I am surprised is actually still around
- Why people really give up
- How we can handle the hardship we will all face
- Once you blame your parents for something, its up to you to fix it
- How to deal with darkness
- Develop routine in your life, alter it when needed
- Develop skills, self educate, etc.
- Set goals for yourself and make them happen (even small ones)
- Develop a positive future vision
- Learn to be happy when you are alone
- Talk to people, friends, family, etc.
- Avoid toxic people, friends, family, etc.
- Don’t conflate responsibility and blame
- Remember what you really are, spirit
- Remember that what you do DOES matter
- Final Thoughts – You Have So Much Opportunity, USE IT
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- The Year 40
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – support TSP when you shop on Online
- Grandaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Information
- I Am…I Said – Neil Diamond
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.