We are heading into the season of harvest and I figured for a fun show today I would talk about various ways to cook venison and a few other types of fish and game.
Cooking as many of you know is one of my passions, I love cooking becuase it is a special blend and a blend many don’t really think about. Cooking when you think about it is a blending of….
- Culture and Heritage
- Science (mostly biology, chemistry and physics)
- Practical Needs (we all have to eat and you have what you have)
I mean think about something like a classic Vietnamese cooking, one of the most sophisticated forms of cooking in the world.
Under Culture and Herritage you have a blending of classic south east Asian cultures and French Influences. Which takes us right to history, as under French occupation that French influence came into being. The science is there in many ways, but just examine the concept of all 5 flavors being present, salty, sweet, sour, bitter and spicy in every dish. On practical needs, the main dishes consist of locally available food, much grown, raised and foraged by even the poorest residents.
This is true of all foods and in blending techniques, science, cultures, etc. we get what modern chefs call “fusion food” but Redneck Duck farmers like me simply call good eating.
Join Me Today To Discuss…
- The rules of wild game specifically venison
- Don’t over cook it
- Gamey is not a flavor it means you screwed up
- If you are grilling or frying, cook hot and fast
- Use large piece if you are trying anything low and slow
- Ground venison and other game benefits from added fat
- Game is lean, see rule number one
- Some ways to make venison many never even consider
- Use that liver when you make sausage, or feed to dogs in MODERATION
- Why I tend to not grind venison during butchering
- Don’t discard bones, venison bone stock is amazing
- Some other game and fish ideas
- Simple fried bluegill or other panfish
- Fish Tacos – really good with sandbass
- Catfish Steaks – So Simple
- Grilled Squirrel
- Squirrel Stew
- Ground Hog BBQ (try it, you will like it)
- Duck and/or Goose Soup
- Wild Hog Jalapeno Bacon Medallions
- A bit on sauces, seasonings, marinades etc.
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 56
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Online
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Scott Rea Project – Youtuber of the Day
- Long Haired Country Boy – The Charlie Daniels Band
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.