Today we complete our fishing series with a show on cooking fish. Fish is dish best served well, “not ruined”. If I were asked what are the two things that most often ruin fish I would say the following. Over cooking fresh water fish and often bothering to cook some salt water fish at all. Now don’t get me wrong I cook plenty of salt water fish, but some of it is best simply sashimi or ceviche!
Today I will go over some of my favorite ways to prepare and use fish. The good news is you can do all of this even if you are not a fisherman with fresh fish from the market. The key with fish is when done it should flake, not be mushy, you simply most not be afraid that you will “under cook it” this indeed is the most common way fish is ruined.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Some basic rules
- Don’t overcook
- Never eat raw or citrus cooked fresh water fish
- Learn to clean fish and consider buying them whole
- Learn to use what others throw away
- Be creative and use recipes as a guide, not law
- Some of my favorite ways to cook and eat fish
- Shore lunch style fish fry
- Almost paleo style fish fry
- Catfish Steaks (works for salmon too, it is where I got the idea)
- Plank Cooked Fish (salmon, catfish, tilapia, and many others work)
- Two types of “fish chowder”
- Simple Shore Lunch Style
- Gourmet Cook Style
- Make it fish stew, omit the corn and milk, add tomato paste
- Cerviche – Some important thoughts
- Sashimi – yes you can do this wrong or use an not so good fish for it
- Fish on the half shell – great for camping
- Sumac and dill infused fish
- Fish for fish tacos
- Smoked catfish – people will fight over this!
- Final thoughts again don’t be a recipe Nazi!
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1380
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Backwoods Home – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.