While in Colorado I am running reruns but the intros are new only the body of the show is from the archives. This one goes all the way back to Episode 75.
Today I took a shot at a show on reloading. It may be a bit fragmented as discussion a detailed process with out video or images is difficult, but many have asked for a reloading show so we now have one.
Tune in today to hear…
- The basic process of reloading
- Why custom ammo is more accurate and what custom means to a reloader
- How you can load rounds and combination of components you can’t get from
- Why reloading saves money
- Thoughts on not over doing your fist purchases
- How powder is measured by volume and checked by a scale
- The importance of origination and a system for safety
- Recommended manuals that give easy to understand instructions and good data
- My recommendation on the Lee Anniversary Kit as a starter
- Choosing a single stage press when you start out
- Thoughts on a progressive press for high volume loading
- The survival value of reloading
- A bit on casting your own bullets
- The value of “reduced loads”
Load Data for my Reduced 44 Special Load (From the Lee Manual – First Edition, Do NOT reduce further)
This is a 44 Special Load from an older Lee Manual. Do NOT reduce any further!
300 Grain Lead Bullet
Standard Large Pistol Primer
9.8-11.5 grains of H227
I settled on an even 10 Grains of Powder. In a 20 Inch barreled 1894 Marlin 44 Magnum it is quieter then most Break Barrel Pellet guns and will penetrate 7 inches of solid pressure treated lumber at 25 yards and is accurate to about 50 yards before the low velocity takes over and drop becomes extreme.
Similar loads should be possible for rounds like,
357 Mag – Try light 38 Spc Loads
45 Colt – Try Cowboy Action Loads to start out
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1222
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Shop for TSP Silver
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
- Lee Reloading Tools
- Lee Anniversary Kit
- The Lee Loader
- Lee Videos on Reloading – GREAT RESOURCE
- RCBS – Good Videos on this Site Too
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.