Episode’s 1397 and 1398 on keeping chickens were a big hit and they also generated a large number of questions. Today we tackle most of the questions that came in.
If this show generates a lot more questions, I will be happy to do another follow up down the road. The chicken is a remarkably simple animal from a needs stand point. In the end chickens really need only, protection, housing, control, food, water, some room to roam and a bit of daily up keep to be happy.
As you begin to develop more complex systems that you wish to have your birds interact with though, this simple single element can become more and more complex, leading to a lot of “what ifs”.
Additionally as one moves from a small backyard flock for personal egg production to a larger flock for meat production, an egg business, etc, things do become more complex. Management of coop, runs, food, water all require more thought to prevent a simple assert from turning into a major time drain.
Join Me Today As I Answer Your Questions On
- Chicken nipples, what are those, get your mind out of the gutter
- Nine month old Chickens that have never laid an egg
- A new hen the rest of the flock just won’t accept
- What do you do when customers want their eggs washed
- Are there chicken scraps that should not go to chickens
- Chicken breeding, genetics, etc.
- Growing a chicken garden in a dual run system
- Developing chicken pasture with overseeding
- Cleaning the coop with bleach, why I may switch to peroxide
- Isn’t DE just DE why do we need food grade DE for chickens
- How do you raise a kind and gentle rooster
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the MSB
- The Year 1401
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
- Safe Castle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Chicken Nipples
- Stock Tank Heater I Use
- Mark Shepard’s Hard Cider Initiative
- Grow Organic
- Hearne Seed
- Hancock Seed
- Food Grade vs. Pool Grade DE
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.