Special Report – Today I start out with a special report on Vladislav Davidson and the Regenerative Leadership Institute. I only did this report due to so many asking about their PDC that you can take for “free” at OpenPermaculture.com. My report is not very positive, it isn’t the type of thing I like to do but in this instance it was something had to do. Simply due to the fact that many of you have asked about this PDC and the people behind it. If you are here just for that it starts at 7:25 and ends about 19:10 into the show.
Today I listened to a sample episode of a show I will be on soon as a guest the show is called, Myths & Facts: 9 Things I Used to Believe (and Teach) About Home Ownership That I No Longer Believe it was a story of government stupidity at its finest. If you want the story you can listen to that episode for yourself.
The short short version is a guy moves outside of city limits, can find no laws against chickens or a pile of brush on ones property but gets fined for both and must give up his chickens. On top of it a 30 year old shed ends up having no permit, in the end tearing down the large, expensive shed was his only option.
I could not listen to the entire episode, this shit makes no sense. I am so ever loving done with government in so many ways. Yet Josh (the show’s host) makes a valid point about “ownership” mythology, that is true in far to many instances.
On the other hand there are current victories in other areas. Just this week San Antonino did something great! They just declared Urban Farming absolutely legal in San Antonino. In many ways what we are seeing right now is what amounts to a low violence multi front war.
While many in this nation are determined to sanitize everything into conformity, others seek to regain independence and true health. Many also frankly simple desire to regain one of our most basic freedoms. That is our freedom to use land we own, the way we choose as long as we do no harm to anyone else. Note that being offended, not liking what others do, etc. does not equal being harmed.
As an anarchist I personally work outside the system, every and any where I can. By inspiring frankly 10s of thousands to get shit done in this world I am creating new fronts in this war. Others then in the system take up the fight and work inside and outside the system in their own ways.
We need to balance things too. I really recommend anyone becoming an urban farmer, suburban homesteader etc. read this great article by our own Erica Strauss, called “Don’t Be An Urban Homesteading Asshole“.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The sweet spot “Urban Rural Fringe” and how it is getting harder to use
- The irony of yuppies in these sweet spots – they want the food we produce
- How this compares to marijuana on main street in Breckenridge
- Thoughts on finding the place for you
- Don’t just read laws, ask enforcers before you buy
- Get into an area where there are some eyesores even to your taste
- Ag Zoned land is best but hard to get at times
- Really think about what you want to do, what you can do, and should do
- Working the system to your advantage
- Consider a distributed model, ala Curtis Stone
- Quail and worms, over chickens
- Rabbits over ducks
- Focus mostly on the back yard
- Try to locate property with at least 2 neighbor free property lines
- Do not do “on farm sales” unless you know you are golden
- Select areas with public forage/hunting/fishing opportunities
- Accept you can’t win every fight
- Loosing a fight is not loosing a war
- The best way to win is to never get in the fight
- Do as much as you can inside/in outbuildings
- Look for at least an acre
- Tree your perimeter, start with the closest neighbors
- Work the system or fight from outside, follow what works for you
- Respect everyone fighting for what is right
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1702
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Report on David Holmgren’s Property
- Don’t Be An Urban Homesteading Asshole
- Green City Acres – Curtis Stone’s Website
- Before the Deluge by Jackson Brown
Links Related to My Report on Vladislav and Open Permaculture’s PDC
- Reddit Thread on this Issue – He comments many times
- Yelp Reviews – Note Students threatened with law suits for negative yelp reviews
- Blog Post by an Individual that Was Threatened by Vlad if she didn’t pay him 10,000 dollars
- BBB Complaints about this Program
Bob Wells Plant of the Week – Phoenix Tears Goji Berry – It is adaptable from zone 5 to zone 9. Also known as Wolfberry, these nutritious berries are eaten fresh, juiced or dried like raisins. The berries are a popular medicinal herb.
Among the highest in protein and anti-oxidants, they have more carotene than carrots, and contain all the essential amino acids and many minerals. Grow this attractive Chinese native on a trellis to more than 10′ tall or trim it as a bush and keep at 4-6′ tall. Light purple, bell shaped flowers bloom in May and continue throughout the summer.
The third year and thereafter, flowers are followed by orange-red berries. The plant is self-fertile, drought resistant, and likes a half to full day of sun and well-drained soil. It prefers warm summer days and cool nights prefers neutral or somewhat alkaline soil. Our plants are grown from cuttings and a superior cultivar.
Bob Wells Nursery specializes in edible landscape plants and trees including: Fruit Trees, Berry Plants, Vine Fruit, Nut Trees, as well as the hard to find Specialty Trees. Find this plant and more at BobWellsNursery.com
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council that can answer you questions. If you have a question send it to jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with TSPC Epert in the subject line. Ask your question in one to two sentences so it is clear then provide any additional details. Make sure to tell me what council member the question is for. You can Meet the Expert Council at this Link.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.