One of the topics I have been strong on since 2008 when I started TSP that is honestly unique in the preparedness world is entrepreneurship. Many take the view that since it is “all going to collapse”, why would you bother. Frankly that is a beyond myopic view, at TSP we don’t only plan for things to go wrong, we plan for them to go right as well.
Perhaps it is that I did a lot of my growing up in the 80s. Back then there was still a real feeling that some day the nuclear missiles were going to wipe us all out anyway. It was a huge part of the hyper consumerism driven by debt that took over in that decade. Why worry, why not just party like it was 1999 and the bombs were gonna drop on Y2K. To be blunt how’d that work out for those that did it?
We prepare for disaster around here based on the probability index, a term I coined in 2008 that means the lower the number of individuals effected by a disaster the more likely you as an individual are to experience it. Individual and family level disasters include job loss, fire in your home, serious illness, death of an immediate family member, etc. While things like the Corona Virus get the media attention, it is individual disasters that touch the most lives the most frequently.
So we prep in this order.
individual/family – neighborhood – region – state – national – global
We do this because one thing people were right about in the cold war, if an all out nuclear war took place it likely would not have mattered what you did. However if you are going to prep for the total end of the world, you may want to be prepared for the end of just your individual world first. No step can do more to insulate you from individual disaster than an income independent of the whims of a boss or corporation.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The two primary types of business today (lifestyle and conventional)
- The two primary types of products today (non phyical/service and phyical product)
- The two primary things you can sell to (wants or needs)
- Why much of what people think about these three things are wrong
- Finding your business model
- What are you good at, great at
- What do you love
- What do you suck at
- How much time do you really have
- Is this even right for you, it is not right for everyone
- Things you do need today if you are going to be in business
- A website
- A solid brand story
- A social media presence
- A product delivery solution
- An over the top work ethic
- The ability to improvise, adapt and overcome
- A realistic understanding of the value of your market or at least numbers required on your end
- A plan to scale or an acceptance of a scaling limitation
- Final Thoughts – The other option is financial independence via saving, investing and life style design
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Wasted on the Way – Crosby, Stills and Nash
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.