Today we are going to focus on soil but strictly from a garden stand point. There is so much to soil building on broad scale but where you can really do amazing things fast is at the garden scale. It is in the garden that we can manage by the 4×8 foot bed or even by the square foot.
We are going to discuss building soil from a starting point of zero and how that relates to building it in the ground, a raised bed or even large containers. We are going to discuss mulching, common myths and trouble shooting as well.
We will also answer a ton of questions submitted just this morning on both Instagram and Facebook. This is one reason you really should follow us on social media. We often take pre show feedback and questions on topics via these outlets.
Join Us Today to Discuss…
- The fast and simple explanation of the “soil life web”
- When techniques become methods it causes confusion (exp. Back to Eden)
- In the end do what works for you, no matter what I say today
- What makes good soil?
- Mulch (living or otherwise)
- My basic method if you have nothing to start with
- At least two sources of compost
- Screened top soil over sand
- Boost minerals (rock dust, green sand, lava sand, etc)
- Aid moisture retention and drainage (expanded shale)
- Add biology (worms, fungi, food)
- Incorporate organic matter (brown semi composted leaves)
- Mulch, and keep mulching
- My Fertility Program – What I use and why I use it – Link to All Products
- Organic fertilizer
- Drenches and Teas
- Specific Mineral Supliments
- Fungal Boost
- How I plant a plant into a bed
- Thoughts on cover crops, till vs. no till, etc.
- Thoughts on weed blocking fabric
- Grow what does well for you
- Stay on the weeds, you are the best weed control
- Questions from Social Media
- Dealing with squash bugs and ground hogs
- The best first grow medium for a beginner
- How well does wood core work
- Solarizing to kill weeds and weed seeds
- Plastic weed block vs. fabric weed block
- Dealing with “bad” nematodes
- Weed control in garden pathways
- Three sisters and companion planting, etc
- Is treated lumber safe – can you make it last longer with white wash
- Winter composting and using “hot” compost
- This one effing weed that won’t go away
- Tree roots in the garden bed
- Using true sand in a raised bed
- Is compost tea safe or a “bacteria cesspool”
- Should you use a “fertility schedule”
- Chopping and dropping old plants
- Creating vertical growing spaces for wicking beds/large containers
- Using manures – lama – deer -etc.
- Turning sand into loam
- Dig vs. no dig, till vs. no till, etc
- Will wood chips cause termites
- Worm casting, worm tea and worm compost tea
- Final thoughts – There is No Magic Bullet
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Jack on Instagram
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Amazon
- House of the Rising Sun – Geordie
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.