Jason Burns lives near Liberty, IN. His primary profession is in hospital pharmacy. He began keeping bees in 2010 because he was interested in pollination for his garden and obtaining a honey for his family. Initially he had planned on keeping two hives.
Things got interesting when he figured out how easy it was to catch feral bees that were local to his area. Currently he keeps about 30 hives of untreated/unfed bees amongst endless fields of soybeans and corn (mono-crop hell).
Jason joins us to discuss sourcing honeybees by Swarm trapping for sustainability and self sufficiency for the backyard or even the sideline beekeeper. Including how catching local bees can simplify your beekeeping life and make beekeeping more affordable.
Join Jason and I Today as we Discuss…
- How can catching local bees can simply a beekeeper’s life
- What if you live in an area that has both Africanized and European honey bees
- Why wild bees are more resilient then pacified bees
- The advantages of locally sourced feral bees
- What is a swarm trap and how do they work
- How to construct a swarm trap
- How do bees find the trap
- How do you pick trap locations
- When do you deploy swarm traps
- After you have caught a swarm then what do you do
- If you have to buy your bees what is the best way to go
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1217
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Shop for TSP Silver
- TSP Gear
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- LetMBee.com – Jason’s Website
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.