I have done some really advanced stuff with agriculture and permaculture over the years but I realized it has been a long time since I have done something totally devoted to a true beginner. The person looking at a patch of ground and a back porch and just wanting a garden and some of their own food on their own table.
This does not have to be complicated and it also doesn’t have to be expensive. Our grand parents and great grand parents didn’t spend a lot of money to grow a garden, they didn’t have design certificates or gadgets either. Still today we have a lot of options they didn’t, by combining their simple approach and some modern convience we can get off the ground running fast.
We can have a great harvest in our first year and lay the ground work for a garden that gets better and better over time. We can also do things in a way that shortens the learning curve and makes us feel good about what we are doing, rather than demotivated and frustrated as many first year gardeners become.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- An example of why the “green thumb” is a myth to be ignored
- What is the goal of a family garden
- Produce food
- Save money
- Improve quality of life
- Provide better healthier nutrition
- Should you go with “raised beds”
- What is the ground like
- What is your climate like
- Can you either automate or simply irrigation
- Are you going to want “borders” if so why
- Where are you going to get your material and how much will it cost
- Why I recommend buying plants your first year, at least some of them
- Plants I recommend buying
- High success rate
- Very broad availability of varieties now
- Cost is not bad, and this is a learning year
- Plants I recommend buying
- Plant I recommend planting from seed in the ground
- Peas/Beans etc.
- Plants I recommend starting in containers even in your first year or buying
- Why everyone should grow sweet potato
- Bed establishment
- Double dig, sheet mulch or both
- Bring in material – yes till/turn it in
- Mulch with wood chips
- The things that will make your plants successful almost no mater what
- Dr. Earth 1014 Premium Gold Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer (balanced NPK) – Link
- Garrett Juice Plus (foliar feed) – Link
- Blood and Bone Fertilizer – Link
- GS Plant Foods Liquid Kelp – Link
- Hydro Organics Earth Juice Cal-n-Mag Plant Food – Link
- Liquinox Iron Zinc Chelated Solution – Link
- Endo Mycorrhizae Fungal Inoculation – Link
- Azomite consider sourcing locally – Link
- Green Sand consider sourcing locally – Link
- Lava Sand – source this locally!
- Expanded Shale – source this locally!
- Going forward or doing more in the first year (composting-worms-etc)
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1957
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Amazon
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Article I wrote that discusses many of the products on todays show
- Best Deal You Can Get on a One Gallon Sprayer
- Back Pack Sprayer for Large Applications
- Jailhouse Rock – Elvis Presley
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.