Today I decided to so something more in the realm of “traditional survival skills” or the more typical “wilderness survival skills” that many popular survival shows are based on. Today we discuss assembling both a very basic bare bones fishing kit and a more advanced better equipped version with complete survival fishing gear included.
Tune in today to hear…
- Why caring a fishing kit makes so much sense
- Can you find fish anywhere, well as long as you can find reasonable water supplies, yes
- Why you need an air/water tight container for your tackle
- Advice on hook sizes
- How to make a “frog gig” using large hooks
- How the spin fishermen can effectively use even the tiniest of dry flys
- How to find bait in survival situations
- Bait or food, the choice is yours, a new version of “a bird in the hand”
- How to make a “hobo reel”
- Advice on a collapsible fishing rod, get one, carry it, it beats a hobo reel or improvised can pool
- Why you should carry netting
- Minnow soup? It might be “what’s for dinner”
- Advice on carrying more fishing line then you think you will need
Resources for Today’s Show
- Region 5 Get Together
- Members Support Brigade
- Dirt Time 2009
- Lights Out Audio Preview
- A pretty decent telescopic rod and reel combo – You may want to upgrade the reel but the rod is quite good. Check in a few sporting goods stores first though, you may find something better with out the reel.
- Good Article on Fishing a “fly and bubble rig”
- Source of Fly Bubbles – Cabelas
- The Beetle Spin – Every kit should have some of these
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show.
You also now can call in questions or comments for the host at 866-65-THINK, please read the suggestions for calling in before you do for the best chance of getting your comments on the air.