So we have TSP Workshops coming on at Nine Mile Farm on Oct 1st-3rd and Nov. 12-14 and one of the coolest things we do is the barter blanket. I swear some people come just for that alone. Here is how it works.
One person lays down an item for trade and describes it and what makes it cool or desirable. Any other participant now can lay down any item to trade for it or any group of items.
We wait long enough that anyone that wants to “bid” with an offer has a chance. The person who laid down the first item can then accept any offer or decline them and remove his item. If the offers are declined the blanket is “open” so that anyone can lay down a new item.
If an offer is accepted the person who won the trade is granted the blanket. He/She can now put something down for trade, including the item just won if desired. If the winner doesn’t want to lay an item down they simply declare the blanket open and we proceed from there.
There have been nights that we have started this about 9PM by the campfire and it has run until 2AM. It is a huge hit with students and instructors alike. This time even if you are not coming it can help you promote your products. How? Glad you asked! Remember I have said this is self serving for me, and it is.
What I am offering to do this time is as follows.
- Interested business owners should email me a description of items you want to have me barter on the blanket at our events. I will consider them and get back to you with a yes or a no and shipping info if they are approved.
- During each event (hopefully just before they start) I will do a post on the blog listing all the items, with descriptions and links to your websites to buy them.
- During the actual event at the property the first day they will all be on a table for display, you can send business cards or what have you with them if you want.
- On Friday night when we barter I will barter your items and tell everyone about them, haggle with them, etc.
- I will record what I get in barter for them and as part of our after action review post another post stating what was bartered for your items, again with a link to them on your site.
- Like I said this is self serving what ever I get in return from bartering I keep. Still this is a LOT of advertising value for what amounts to a product sample.
Here are some questions I know people will have and my answers in advance.
What items will work best?
Just about anything but about half the people that come do some air travel, so items that you can pack in a suit case will have more people vying for them. That said I bartered for a full military net set with poles and Bryan of ITS got a second one from the same event. I have seen bee hives exchanged and frankly some things I won’t publicly mention, LOL. Just send me your ideas and I will let you know what I think.
In the end for this the qualifiers are the item must be legal, you must be selling it online and it has to be able to be shipped to me in Texas and that is about it. Items exchanged at past blankets range from silver coins to candles, to homemade soap, herbal salves, canned produce and other small low cost items. I have also seen expensive items, including gold exchanged. But in general low to mid priced items do best.
How do I apply?
Email email@example.com with TSPC Barter in the subject and describe your item, send me a link where I can see it online, photos, etc. I will email you back and work out details, tell you if it qualifies, give you shipping info, etc.
Who can apply is this for sponsor and MSB vendors only?
Sponsors and MSB you guys are welcome at the blanket but any and ALL community members are welcome to apply. This is for all of the TSP community, period.
How many will you accept?
Likely 10-12 per event if the interest is that high. I don’t want to dominate the entire event and I want all supporters to get good mind share on the exposure.
Can I send stuff for both events?
Depends. I have to gauge interest in this first. If the first fills up an the seond doesn’t, I will open the second one to repeat sponsorship, otherwise to be fair I hope to get 20-24 companies some good exposure here.
Can I send like a case or multi pack or 5 items in a set, something like that?
Yes as long as it makes sense and will be something I can easily barter as a set or a case or what have you. Note that I may break such things up on multi deals or sometimes bidders work together and split stuff. One time two guys split half interest in 5 pounds of mushroom spawn. So this is all flexible.
Can you video and publish the bartering?
Hell no, Vegas has nothing on what happens on the blanket stays with the blanket. If you want to see it, you have to be at it.
Will you tell me what Talk to the Squirrel Means?
Nope, not unless you show up at an event.
Are Cash Trades Made on the Blanket?
Um any thing is acceptable in trade, including, cash, trade or promises to do something for someone. Physical products will work best for this promotion though.
Here Are Some Photos of Past Events