Time for a fun show looking ahead to when all the ice and danger of heavy frost is gone. Last year I found some new gems and this year I am planning major grow bed expansion so I have found some new ideas and some old favorites to add to the 2018 planting list.
Basically if you are a Gardner or grower or plant geek, today is a bit of plant porn for the winter cabin fever blues. I will be providing a link for all seeds, some will be to companies that are MSB partners, some to companies that offer things our partners do not and some even to Amazon or eBay because you just can’t get them any other way.
My view with growing plants for food has always followed this guidelines in no particular order…
- Grow what you like to eat
- Grow what is expensive to buy
- Grow what you can’t buy or is hard to find
- Grow things that store well with little to no effort
- Grow things that are perennial or that self seed
- Grow things with more than one use
- Grow things that have little disease/pest pressure
- Grow honey badger plants (plants that just don’t give a shit)
- Grow things that allow you to interplant in layers
- Try a few new/weird things each year
- Grow things that are “super foods”
Look any one of those is enough reason for me to grow something, frankly “because I effing feel like it”, is enough reason but the more check marks something gets, the more interested in growing it I become.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- Why grow more than just the usual suspects
- My plant starting set up for this year
- Things I plant to grow this year and why
- Cubanelle Peppers – link
- Datil Peppers – link
- Lemon Drop Peppers – link
- Habnada Pepper – link
- Corbaci Pepper – link
- Hairy Gourd – link
- White Flowered Gourd – link
- Bitter Mellon – link
- Mouse Mellon – link
- Scarlet Runner Beans – link
- Red Noodle Beans – link
- Japanese Purple Sweet Potato – link
- Daikon Radish – link
- Tomatillo Verde – link
- Achocha – link
- Beets – (Baby recycled) – Just get them in a grocery store
- Zucchino Rampicante Squash (trombone zucchini) – link
- Orach – Mixed – link
- Bloody Dock – link
- New Zealand Spinach – link
- Hopi Red Amaranth – link
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- The Year 88
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Get Your Liberty Forum Tickets – Use Code tsp10 for 10% off all tickets.
- Grow Tent I am Using for Seed Starting
- 600 Watt Grow Light I am Also Using
- Fall of the Peacemakers – Molly Hatchet
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.