A bit over seven years ago we sold our Arkansas property, for many years before we moved there it was a second property and hence provided us with a vacation and bug out location property. When we moved there I started looking for another property (2 is 1 and 1 is none) but never found one.
As many of you know while we loved it there Dorothy (my wife for new folk) did not adjust well to being so far from family and when her dad began to decline with dementia we moved back to the Fort Worth area. While I miss the old place it is a decision I have never regretted. It let my wife care for her father and have 5 good years with him. Also so much good has come at Nine Mile Farm. Workshops, projects, ponds, livestock, etc all that were never going to work well in Arkansas.
God the Universe call it what you will seems to always send us what we need if we are open to it. Still I have never stopped wanting a second property. A hunting property would be nice but one mostly for getting away, bugging out and y’all know me, fishing would be more than good enough even if not a perfect hunting property.
As to off grid, I will talk about the advantages and disadvantages of that today along with some lessons I learned owing two properties for almost 10 years about distance and remote management. A lot of things that work in your head, don’t in the real world and a lot of problems you think are hard to solve are actually simple once you have to solve them.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- No matter what real estate is real estate and emotions most be ignored
- Thoughts on the good and bad of off grid
- The Good
- Better Deals
- More Independence
- Likely you will know how everything works
- The Bad
- It is all on you
- There are limitations to the energy output
- Can be very expensive
- So much depends on the climate and goals you have
- The Good
- The things I’d want in a BOL property
- 2 hours away (3.5 is my personal max)
- Water, water and water
- Wooded and hence secluded
- If there are neighbors you want really good ones
- Suitable for earth works
- Natural resources (free building materials)
- Unincorporated, no HOAs, POAs
- No skinny rectangle layouts or other odd shapes that make big land feel small
- Structures to consider
- Conventional house
- Tiny House (shed)
- RVs or Tiny House on Wheels
- Mobile Home
- Earth Contact Structures
- Dome Homes or Aircrete
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Parler
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
Top 5 Country Songs of 1980 Week (40 Years Ago)
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.