Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode 1379- The Profitable Small Acre Homestead and originally aired on July 1st, 2014.
The notes below are the original notes from that episode.
Homesteading is a dream for a lot of people, a some day idea. Generally it is usually this way. I need a job, so I need to be close to work, so we can’t afford a huge place close enough, so ONE DAY I will have enough saved to make the move.
This can and does work, but one day has a way of becoming a moving target, a carrot before the horse that keeps the cart moving yet never is tasted for many. So my view is for some at least, the homestead can at least in time become a significant income source.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- Our basic plan and why it might not be right for you
- Start with eggs, build a customer base
- Sell other nice items, meal worms, candles, etc.
- Begin selling plants, cuttings, fertilizers
- Sell produce as it comes into production
- Possibly at some point sell poultry
- What I think you can learn from our plan and how you should build your design
- Specialize in something that builds a customer base
- Expand slowly over time
- Develop DEEP relationships with your customers
- Let them guide your development
- What I would look for in a property
- Close to a reasonable population center
- Decent internet access
- Good drive buy traffic
- No restrictions (unincorporated if possible)
- Deep soils with pond sites
- Flat to relatively flat
- As always it comes down to water, access, structure
- Thoughts on different revenue elements
- Paddock shift silvopasture poultry (eggs, meat)
- Market gardening
- raised beds of fixed length
- heavy weed blocking
- designed to the sun or shade by climate
- Develop a CSA around it fast
- Small nurseries
- Small “orchards” for produce
- Specialty craft products
- Bees and bee products
- Other stock, cattle, sheep, goats, etc
- Focus on value added products
- Some final thoughts
- It takes time, how much is based on how much you have
- You can’t do everything so don’t even try to, do one thing then another
- It isn’t for everyone, that is great!
- It isn’t easy, but in reality it is simple
- It is hard to do on your own, a multi family approach has a lot to offer
- Making a living is better than working for a living
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1379
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.
Remember while Rewind Shows are commercial free you can always support our show by Joining the MSB or simply by doing your Amazon.com shopping though TspAz.com