Yesterday we had a fascinating discussion on the Facebook Regarians page about Mulberry, I know it is awesome, I am growing a lot of varieties but I didn’t realize how much it could really do. In fact I considered just doing a show today called something like Magnificent Mulberries, because they do so much. I simply realized though that I can’t take in enough on them this morning alone to do them justice, so that might come at a later date.
I mean if you just begin to look into the above linked discussion the sheer volume of data is insane. So I decided instead simply to include it in a list of really useful but underrated plants by homesteaders and permaculturists.
What I tried to do with this list is be highly variable. To provide things a person might grow for cattle or goats on a large scale but at the same time provide things that you might grow on a small lot. Most not all but most of these you will have heard of before. It isn’t that they are unknowing just that their full usefulness is largely unknown.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- The marvelous mulberry
- The elderberry, it is for more than just wine
- Lemon balm, stop trying to grow citrus grow the flavor
- Blackberry, so many uses, it will shock you
- Medlar, what, med what, you will really like this one
- Wild garlic, wild onion and garlic and onion chives
- Lavender it is more then just something that smells nice
- Jujube tough as nails, storable, highly sought by some
- Roses wild varieties and old varieties
- Native persimmon not just for people
- Jute Mallow edible, naturalizes, asks almost nothing in return
- Lambsquarters eat it when it is small, mulch it when it gets too big
- Amaranth the seed is one yield the leaf is often a better one
- Bee Balm you get tea, you get beneficial insects and it won’t die
- Mints come one come all, from tea to candy, to salads to good adult beverages
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1568
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- 12 Things to Do With Lemon Balm
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.