“Fall Garden? What the heck Jack, do you not see your own weather forecast? Hellllloooo earth to Jack, it is going to be 103 degrees in your town today, the next 5 days will have highs of 104, 101, 101, 100 and 100. Are you Daft? This is the time to be planning a fall garden?”
Well indeed, yes it is. Consider that your spring garden planning begins when frost and snow are still on the ground does it not. Yes it is 103 today but our average first frost date is Nov. 17th.
There are two things to consider around this first frost date. The first is that currently I have about 102 days on the average before our fist frost. Hence anything that will frost kill and requires more than 102 days to produce is out of the question for a second crop right now.
So I now must choose any frost sensitive crops carefully for my second season. I also likely need to start most seed in flats or pots in a shaded and climate controlled area right now. Germination is poor to say the least at 100 plus degree temps.
The second is with frost hardy crops, like carrots, peas, lettuce, etc. While they are frost hardy, one must get them well established by the frost date if they are to continue to grow in thrive in cold and short days.
Join Me Today as We Discuss…
- Bed maintenance for beds you won’t be planting with “crops”
- Biochar, manure, green sand, other amendments
- Cover Crops
- Heavy Harvest of the Summer Crops
- New Bed Establishment
- My new beds currently being installed
- Why this is a good time to establish new beds
- Getting ready for the fall crops
- Protection or not?
- Killing Weeds
- Starting seeds (sometimes indoors)
- Selecting plants from a nursery
- 10 Crops for the fall garden
- Garlic (planting for next fall)
- Onions and Leeks
- Carrots – Frankly most root crops
- Getting the Edge on Cool Weather
- Southern Exposure
- Row Covers
- Micro Green Houses
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the MSB
- The Year 1403
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Farmers Almanac – First and Last Frost Dates
- Date Duration Calculator
- Fish Tank Mini Green House Video One
- Fish Tank Mini Green House Video Two
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.