When I first began doing TSP I told the story of The Ant and the Grasshopper many times. Today I want to remind you of another story, the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. Like the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper, this story is a well known fable of Aesop.
The basics are the tortoise and hare race, eh hare is obviously favored to win. He gets cocky, he takes a nap, the tortoise plods along and wins. Don’t worry I will tell the full story on the air, but that is the basics.
While there is a lesson in not trying to do too much too fast in this story for us, I see a second one. That being that the flashy “zombie apocalypse preps” can be quite impractical until you actually complete the basics of “the race”. Where as the practical preps we teach, seem to pay off for our audience members on a daily basis.
While many people want to always focus on trading 22LR for biltong during the Zombie Apocalypse the simple preparedness ethic we once had as Americans in general seems to be what we are most lacking and most in need of.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- Some stories by listeners about practical prepping
- The Aesop fables of the Ant and Grasshopper and The Tortoise and Hare
- My view of the 16 most overlooked (boring) preps
- Documentation Kits
- Basic Savings
- Basic Food Storage (very basic)
- Reading and learning about anything valuable
- Spending Time Talking to Neighbors and Local Leadership
- Simply making time for “family time” (turn off the electronics)
- Learning to be a great cook
- Basic first aid (conventional and herbal)
- Planting basic perennials (herbs, berries, a few trees) —-
- Learning to preserve food (canning, smoking, jerking, dehydrating, etc.)
- Teaching hard skills to our children
- The basic black out kit
- Basic car care, maintenance and repair knowledge
- Building a small business or being a great investor
- Networking and staying marketable
- My thoughts on why this always wins the race
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the MSB
- The Year 1359
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.