What a week, I am tired, worn out and for a yet to be fully disclosed reason about to be on a plane again on Friday. So I figure I better do my review of the happenings at Voices while everything is still fresh in my mind.
The people are Voices were awesome and I have to say even the few that are what Paul Wheaton calls “purple breathers” there were pretty cool as well. In fact I have found that many of the “purple breathers” seem to be breathing less purple over the years. Perhaps Obama has done some good, by being so lousy at his job? It seems years of “getting what they asked for but not what they expected” may actually be pushing some folks from the left, not to the right but OUT of any belief in “the system” at all.
The overall tone of most of the conference was very entrepreneurial and very libertarian leaning. There was actually almost no talk of actual politics, rather it was more here is where regs are in the way, this is how we are getting around them.
Join Me Today as I Discuss…
- Flat out Diego Footer hit a home run with Voices!
- If they do this again, I will go back, it was that well done
- I think people put to much weight on single sentences of the “experts”
- If there is a Voices 2, I would like to see some speakers “step it up” on the solutions side
- The guys I want to go visit now are Greg Judy and Mark Sheppard, awesome!
- Joel Salatin is a good farmer, and a brilliant businessman, think fiefdoms
- If you want to speak at conferences, you might want to join toastmasters
- Some big opportunities are out there, top ones I see now are
- The nursery business (big or small)
- Grazing cattle, sheep, chickens, etc on OPL
- Alley cropping during “orchard establishment”
- Taking education beyond the “PDC”
- Taking an internship with an established farm
- Developing new varieties (plants, trees, birds, etc.)
- Urban design consulting
- I think “transition” is taking on a new meaning and a new momentum
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1318
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- The Soil Cube – (MSB Discounter of the day, 10% off)
- Permaculture Voices Podcast
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.