Christine Faith is a local backyard farmer, devotee of sustainability, and example for other members of the community trying to reduce their impact on the planet while maintaining resilient households. Right to Thrive, Christine’s award winning blog, is an information clearing-house for backyard farmers along the Front Range.
Christine is an owner/co-founder of Ivywild Aquaponics & Neighborhood Farm, an artisan farm located in the historic Ivywild neighborhood of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Ivywild A & N Farm sells NSA shares (Neighborhood Supported Agriculture) featuring vegetables, eggs, and honey.
In addition to managing the small urban farm, Christine teaches classes on backyard farming, designs backyard farms, and consults for a local school district on a school garden project. Christine is also the founder and organizer of Colorado Springs Urban Homesteading.
Christine joins us to discuss designing an urban farm – how to create beauty, productivity, and food security in urban and suburban spaces. Along with designing for urban spaces and the considerations required to do so such as local laws and ordinances, weather and climate, soils, system integration, microclimates, urban scale livestock, and maintaining curb appeal.
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1265
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Get TSP Copper Sentinels
- TSP Gear
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Back Woods Home Magazine – (sponsor of the day)
- RightToThrive.org – Christine’s Site
- TSP Discount for Christine’s Course
- Christine on FaceBook
- Christine on Twitter
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.