From Nov. 21st to Nov. 23rd this month we are running an earthworks workshop, I think we still have two spots by the way for anyone that wants to come. You can find out about that here.
During this workshop we are putting in the main frame earth works for about .75 acres of food forest. That is just the beginning though. Main planting will occur in the spring. At that time about 40 long term productive trees, lots of bushes and shrubs, some climbers and about 280 support trees will be planted.
I talk about food forests often and point to work by people like Geoff Lawton as to how they work and frankly to show that they work. I do my best but I think many don’t really get the how and less get the why. Today’s show is an attempt to communicate that better than I have in the past.
To me this might be the ultimate survival strategy for mankind by the way. There is nothing that we know of on planet earth with the productivity and sustainability of a forest. A food forest is simply a guided version of that blueprint that nature has used since long before we existed.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- My list of 40 productive trees for this one small project
- What is the 7 layer system, how does it function
- What is a support tree, why so many, what do they really do
- Why does a forest build soil faster than a prairie even one that is well managed
- How does man “accelerate a natural cycle” and why
- How do we then “slow down that same cycle” and why
- What needs can be met with a managed forest, more like what can’t
- How small can these systems really be, how large could they become
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1245
- The Year 1246
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Get TSP Copper Sentinels
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.