I am going to continue with some fun stuff that is informative and not so deep into the world of politics, economics, etc. Today I am going to line out the planned projects for our 3 acre property and what they will be doing for us long term.
The first principle of permaculture in my mind is “observe and interact” and while interact is part of it, to me on a new property about a year of observation is really ideal for the planning process. At this point I have been on my property for about 10 months. I now know it intimately. I know where the winds blow including when they don’t line up with the “official information” from the weather service.
I know where my soils are a foot deep and where they are only a few inches above the limestone reef that is under this part of north Texas. I know where water flows and where it pools. I know the species that do well here on their own in all seasons. I have seen the results of my work with my animals an I know it works. Islands of deep green now exist in pastures that are tired and mostly brown.
I have had the great fortune to have my intern Josiah Wallingford of Bring of Freedom on property now for 3 months to aid in my planning. We now have a much deeper understanding of many of our subtle contours. Then we did an urban design workshop. 30 students received certification in Urban Design and we got amazing ideas for a small space design on the property. Josiah and I have expanded these plans and it is all coming together. Today I will do my best to explain our future plans and how this homestead is going to be transformed over the next year into a holistic system that is self supporting and will generate its own fertility.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- The tactical greenhouse with a “climate battery”
- 6000-7500 gallons of catchment tanks are going in, just for starters
- Why we will use some pumps in our systems, yet we will not “need” them
- Taking swales to an extreme level even on land anyone would call flat
- Road catchment diversion, more water then we could ever need
- Cell grazing of geese and chickens in our system, perhaps sheep next year
- Building a 60,000 gallon pond where you can’t go below grade and making it self sustaining
- Making hugul swales where we can only dig about 2 inches into the soil
- Building top soil at a massive rate in the interswales
- Berms, berms and more berms
- A food forest going in this spring, 40 productive trees, 280 support trees
- The contour beds are due to become a massive “micro food forest”
- This is just the beginning!
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1236
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Shop for TSP Silver
- TSP Gear
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.